Prophecies of Doom
RuneQuest combat is deadly and presents risk to every participant. Adventurers can be killed easily, and combat should never be lightly entered. Here are some useful tips:
- Always prepare before a melee. Cast defensive and weapon-enhancing spells before combat if possible.
- Missile weapons are deadly. Missile weapons are useful against foes, as they cannot be parried; only blocked by a shield (if the target was prepared for the attack). This goes both ways!
- Armor saves lives. Even light armor can greatly increase the chance of survival. Defensive magic is equally useful. Casting 3 points of the Shield spell is the equivalent of wearing bronze plate!
- Magic—especially Rune magic—is a game changer in combat. Whether used offensively or defensively, magic spells can change battlefield conditions and take foes out of combat, and greatly boost one’s own capabilities. Always be willing to run away. If the combat goes poorly, always be willing to sound the retreat and run away!
- Almost everyone wants to live. Not every fight need be to the death. Most wild animals flee when wounded, and intelligent foes might surrender. Ransoming a captured foe is inevitably more lucrative than looting a corpse.